What is a boazie?
A Boazie is a name for someone in the Boaz family! If you live in Boaz, are in Boaz ALL the time, or have lived in Boaz in the past--we consider you a Boazie! Boaz residents, Boaz Affiliates (our name for students who used to live in Boaz before moving off campus--Boaz Affiliates still come back for traditions and to hang out in Boaz), and even Boaz Alumni make up the Boazies we know and love. Being a Boazie means you love the Boaz community and work to embody the Boaz values. Once a Boazie, always a Boazie!
What is my first semester at Boaz going to be like?
Your first semester at Boaz is a whirlwind of experiences that will help set you up for the rest of your time at Boaz and at SMU. Move-In Day, Camp Corral, Common Reading, your first All-Boaz Photo, Convocation, your Boaz pinning ceremony, meeting your floor, Korean BBQ, Soup Night...and so much more! You will meet your neighbors on Move-In Day and they will quickly become your friends and before long you will be calling those Boazies your family. We can't wait.
What do boazies wish they had known?
We asked our current Boaz students this question and here is what they said:
- Don't be afraid to use the main Boaz living room or lounges on your floor. You would be surprised how many people you'll meet!
- Try and meet as many fellow Boaz residents as possible!
- Bring a cheap pair of flip flops as shower shoes. This seems basic, but it is a necessity.
- Make sure all of your toiletries are relatively small (no Sam's Club Jumbo sizes) as you will be carrying them to the bathroom and back every day!
- Nobody outside of Boaz will understand why you love your small room in Boaz, but they don't get to experience how much you feel a part of a family while living here.
- Lofting at the highest level may seem like a good idea coming in (saving space and everything), but it can sometimes be a pain to climb into every night. (Or getting back into bed after shutting your alarm off on a weekend). Moderation is key.
- LOFT YOUR BED! Even if you don't think you want to, trust me, do it.
- There is a reason that you were randomly put in Boaz. You will realize it sooner or later.
- Take the time to get to know the Son family and the Ferris family. They really, truly care about every student in Boaz and hope to make sure everyone in Boaz feels at home.
- You can't leave toiletries in the bathroom overnight--they'll get thrown away by the cleaning people when you least expect it!
- Put a sign on your door reminding you to take your key with you! You don't want to accidentally get locked out--especially if you're in a towel and on the way to the shower!
- Bring lots of pictures and tape! It's an easy and damage-free way to decorate your room and make it feel more at home!
- Bring a mirror, even if you don't think you'll us it much (yes even you, boys)! There are so many times when I needed a mirror for something and I didn't want to walk all the way to the restroom!
- Parking behind Boaz during the weekdays (even on holidays) will result in a ticket!
- Get to know the Sons and they will feed you forever.
- Bring a small toolbox, a nice robe, and anything with multiple uses (example: a footstool with storage)!
- A rug is a fun way to brighten up the room, but make sure you get one that is easy to vacuum! The shag rugs get really gross and are hard to vacuum!
- Bring a long surge protector (make sure it is fire-safety approved) so you can be lazy and charge everything without leaving your bed! I zip-tie mine to the bedpost!
Where do I connect with other Boazies?
When you show up on Boaz's steps there will be a whole team of people waiting to meet you, and Welcome Week will kick off with food-filled opportunities to meet your new Boaz family. Your Boaz Big will reach out to you before you arrive to help with any questions you might have before you get here! There are so many opportunities to get involved--Boaz Commons Council, attending Boaz traditions, Boaz Supper Club, service projects, group outings, family room hangout sessions, and more--and if you feel like you need help getting connected the Boaz Leadership Team is here to help! For now you can check us out on Facebook, Instagram, or send us an email (just click the links below)!
What if I have another question or a problem?
Once you arrive, the Boaz Leadership Team (BLT) is here to help with questions, problems, and making your transition to the Boaz community as smooth as possible. Check out the leadership page to meet them! If you have a question about Boaz Commons before you arrive, please contact Residential Community Director Madison Mucci-Ferris:
- Email: email@example.com
- Physical Office: Boaz 129
- Office Phone: 214-768-2249*
- Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
*Occasionally I am in other areas of campus meeting with students or advocating for our community and will not answer my office phone. If that is the case, please leave a message with your name, phone number, and a brief message and I will call you back. You can also send me an email and I will follow up with you as soon as possible.
The Residence Life & Student Housing office is located in Boaz Hall at the corner of Bishop Boulevard and Binkley Avenue. The entrance to their office is off of Bishop Boulevard.